My ICS journey | Overall Experience| Part 1

Sunday, July 19, 2020


Well hello there. I feel like a stranger to this as it has been well over a year where I sat to write an actual blog post. I thought this would be a perfect time for me to hop back on to my blog as I have quite a bit of time being stuck at home due to the corona virus. I hope that wherever you are in the world, you are keeping safe and taking all the precautions that have been put in place.

If you follow me on Instagram, you would know that A couple of months ago I went to Nepal with ICS (International Citizen Service) who are a government funded organisation providing volunteer placement for 18-25 year olds. They also have team leader placements for 23-35 year olds. ICS has projects running in some of the most poorest places in the world. They currently work in a number of different countries. 

ICS is split in to various smaller organisations who all work in different areas of the world and focus on different aspects. I went with an organisation called Restless Development who mainly focus on Livelihoods and supporting communities to end child marriage or prevent HIV. 

Here is the link which will take you directly to the ICS website if you would like to read more. 


The main reason for me to come on here is because I thought it would be nice for me to share snippets of my experience for anyone who is looking to go or just if you wanted to see what sort of stuff I got up to whilst I was there. I will split this into a series of different posts so it’s easier to read as well.

This post will just be based on an overall perspective with a small insight of the sort of things I got up to whilst being away.

So, if you’re wondering what made me want to apply for this... well it was something pretty spontaneous. I was just scrolling through jobs and I stumbled across this. I thought I would give it a shot and apply... What did I have to lose? Plus, I had read up a lot about it before applying and I loved the whole concept and idea of going out and making a difference to other people’s lives. Before I knew it, I had got an email for an interview and from there it just all continued.

Once you get through the interview, there are few other small stages you have to go through but nothing major or extreme. They also will do a few checks such as a DBS check just for safety purposes.

As mentioned earlier this is a government funded organisation but there are a few criteria’s you must know before applying. In order to go you have to meet the criteria and be willing to fund raise £800 and be okay with going away for 10 weeks as this is the length of the placement.

I remember feeling a whole bunch of emotions when it came closer to the time of me going. I was so nervous about this whole trip because it was all so new and daunting at the same time but then I was also super excited for this new adventure. Knowing that you’re going to the other side of the world but not knowing what to expect was the scary bit.






 I don't regret going out of my comfort zone and doing this one bit as I had the best time ever, met some of the loveliest people, grew as an individual and got to help people on the other side of the world.

When it was all actually happening, I couldn’t believe that I was going away to do such a big thing and for me this was a huge achievement as I had never been away completely alone before. I did get to meet all the other volunteers during the training weekend which was nice as I got to know them before going away with them. They were all so lovely and I got along with everyone so well 😊

I went thinking and preparing myself for the next 10 weeks ahead but with the circumstances that had arisen; corona virus pandemic, our time had been cut super short and we were only there for about 5 weeks. ICS will always put your safety and security first and in this case, they had to send us back as the UK was preparing for lockdown so getting us back home safely was their main priority. It was sad to be leaving early because there was so much more we wanted to still do within the community, but it was nice to be back home with our families during this time.

During my time in Nepal, I had recorded and wrote down some short diary entries for me to look back on. I will share a few random days of my first and second week in Nepal on a separate blog post so you get to see the kind of stuff we got up too.

During the first week in Nepal, we had in country training which took place in Benepa. The training was very useful as there were a lot of things we needed to know for the actual placement. This was quite intense as there is so much to take in, but the staff were so understanding of this and always made sure to give us breaks and keep us energised! This was the chance where we really got to bond and get know each other as well as the Nepali volunteers as this was the first time, we had properly met them.

























We did loads of different things during training too. The training sessions usually lasted until about 5ish (I think) and then after that we had the rest of the day to ourselves. we usually would go for walks nearby or just chill and relax! 







Dinner was at 7 pm during training and then the staff sometimes had activities planned after dinner if we wanted to join and take part. My most memorable night in training had to be the cultural night - hands down! We had so much fun and it was just nice to come together with everyone and learn more about Nepali culture! I will put a few pictures below so you guys can see but I will leave a more detailed insight in the travel diary post.















I didn’t know what I was expecting from this experience but the fact that I had a bunch of amazing , motivated young volunteers with me who all had such unique personalities made my experience so fun. Everyone brought something so different and it was so lovely to meet so many people from different places and backgrounds. It’s crazy how quick you become so close with people! I felt like all the UK volunteers got on very well and so did the Nepalis.

If your sitting here and wondering if this is something you should go for… I highly encourage you to go for it. It’s a once in a life time opportunity and honestly you learn and see so much. It makes you appreciate all the little things we take in life for granted and also see how people actually live their everyday lives in a completely different part of the world. Most importantly, your going out there to do some good in the world and that feeling of giving back is the best <3 

I'm going to round this post off and just say that my overall experience on ICS has been super positive. I got the chance to meet some lovely people and create so many amazing memories!! This has probably also been the highlight of my 2020 (seeing as I haven’t really done anything exciting since being in lock down)  I was in two minds about going to do this but this has opened my eyes to the bigger world out there and taught me so much. The Restless Development team took great care of all the volunteers and were always available if there was an issue or if you ever needed to chat. The staff are all so understanding and supportive and are more than happy to help you out with any problems.

I hope this post helped in some sort of way. If you have any questions, then feel free to leave them down below. 

In my next post I will just go into a bit more detail about the actual placement and stuff that me and my counterparts did whilst in our community.

Speak again soon,

Lots of love
Fatima xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe